Monday, October 1, 2012

baked pumpkin chai donuts.

My parents came to visit this weekend. 

LOOK AT THEIR LOVELY MUGS.


This means a few things:
  1. I will be reminded of how I absolutely cannot maintain a clean room.
  2. A completely justified purchase of not only one...but TWO boxes of cereal. A highlight of the weekend.
  3. When I enter their SUV, I will be re-immersed into the land of my father's beloved 70s rock Sirius Radio station, think I will be able to name every artist of every song but then end of guessing REO Speedwagon instead of The Rolling Stones. Rookie mistake.
  4. There will be so. much. good. food.
That's the most important part--the food. We like it. Minneapolis has it. We find it. 

These baked donuts are inspired by the pumpkin-pecan donuts at my neighborhood's Birchwood Cafe. (Which is actually the MOST amazing). I don't have a fancy donut pan so I just used a less fancy muffin one. Sue me.

Vegan Baked Pumpkin Chai Donuts


Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 ginger
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup almond milk with 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar whisked in
2 Tbs melted non-dairy butter
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
Optional: cinnamon-sugar and more melted non-dairy butter for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, pumpkin, sugars, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Pipe "donut holes" onto a greased or lined cookie sheet or spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling each well half-way. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes before dipping into melted butter and rolling in cinnamon sugar. If desired. You desire it though. 

Store in an airtight container.


P.S. Props to the lovely being that can explain to me why I have to wait until the next day for my pumpkin treats to taste the most pumpkiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment